Tuesday 8 October 2013

My Virgin Transvaginal Ultrasound Scan

Wow! It was mind blowing.....I have fallen behind in blogging about my KKH experience, but I need to blog about this to get it out of my mind. I just had a transvaginal ultrasound (TU). Let's call it TU for short. What is  TU? It is a probe (a stick) that enters your body via your vagina to look at a woman's reproductive organs like womb, uterus, ovaries, cervix.

Many years ago, I have rejected the TU because, well...I do not like the idea of that stick in me. 
no no NO.

Why you need to do a TU? The sonographer (the person that does all the ultrasound) needs to reconstruct a picture of your womb for the doctor. Don't ask me what is this for....why reconstruct? I will ask the doctor when I next see him. But I guess it's also to check if you have any polyp, endometriosis, any worrying sign for infertility etc.

The sonographer was soooo nice. She had that stick in me for 20 mins. I guess she could have completed it under 12 mins, but cos it was my first time and I kept on tensing up (thighs and butt), she went very slowly, gently and followed my pace. She will stop once in a while to check on me and to let me relax. Wonderful sonographer.....Jia Yun from KKH. The funny part was I had already spoken to doctor and he agreed to just do an abdominal scan but when she found out it was for IVF, she told me it is okay if I do not want to do it, but it's really useful and important. Some people are like her....she makes you feel comfortable, she earns your trust. In the end, I did the scan cos I knew I can trust her, that she will be slow and follow my pace and not pressure me. She was very comforting and patient ALL THE WAY....I am so glad I met her today. Gosh....I think I spent about 40 mins in her room? For the abdominal and transvaginal scan. 

To those who have not had and have to do TU, fret not. It is really not that bad. Pain is definitely not an  apt adjective. There is some discomfort cos there are parts she touch that will feel weird (like your bladder) and some other motions. But generally, once the probe is in, it is good. The worst is to be tensed as once you tensed up, the probe cannot go in. 

Oops....this post is too long. I will continue in another post on the how-to for a TU.
Abdominal Ultrasound Scan
Transvaginal Ultrasound Scan

But even with this blog.....I really hope I do not need to do another scan. I am feeling damn damn damn sore.....and there is no pain when I brush my hand across my vagina (from the outside). I guess it's more of a memory thingy..... 


1 comment:

  1. If you want to know about the health of the fetus then transvaginal ultrasound treatment is the best for your. This test is performed to check the real time state of the reproductive organs in women.

    ReplyDelete