Thursday 14 November 2013

Day 14 - Egg Retrieval Day

Day 14 of my Antagonist IVF Cycle

This is the day for egg retrieval! I could only pen this today (one day after) as I was so tired and drowsy from the sedation.

I was supposed to report to the clinic @ 7.30am. By the time I got a q number and ready to say good bye to hubby, it was already 8am! And hubby produced sperms at 7am (at home)!!! I was kinda freaking out but told myself to calm down. We should have produced at the clinic cos today, there were only 6 people doing the egg retrieval which means no rush for the room. :(
Note: Although the clinic opens @ 7.30am, you would be allowed into the waiting area from 7.20am.

So…...I entered the room. It's termed as "Changing room" from the outside (as in from the KKIVF clinic). I was told to remove all my street wear and change into the this white gown. Then I had a pink kimono cos the white gown was bare back! Nurse called it a pink kimono. Hhahaa. I had to empty my bladder again (just in case). Kept all my personal stuff in the locker (including phone), said good bye to hubby over whataspp, then, I walked through the other door and into the waiting area. It is one huge room with only an enclosed room which I later learnt was the procedure room. This huge room is also where I will be recovering after my sedation. I sat down on the chair (just next to the door I had to go through with 4 chairs). There were already 2 ladies there. I had no mood to make small talk and I guess same for them. Waited for Nurse Lee (this all all the nurses wears the blue garb) to prep me. She had to insert a needle into my left hand cos this is where the anesthetist (wearing the green garb) will insert the lovely sedation for me and any other pain killers or drip that I might need. Within 5 mins of the Nurse Lee prepping me, my name was called and I proceeded to the procedure room. I think it was about 8.30am?

My doctor is Dr Tan Heng Hao. He was supposed to be on reservist but he comes back every morning to do the procedure! I was so happy to see him!!!! I think he really loves his job huh. He could have a free and easy time, but choose to come back! Not like the hospital is paying him extra.

Anesthetist was nice and was so chirpy which really puts me at ease. At this point, I do not even recall if I saw Dr Tan before I was knocked out. It was that fast! Wahahaha.

The next time I woke up, it was 9.15am and I drifted in and out of sleep. I seemed to take longer than the rest to recover. When I was more awake, I was given a cup of warm milo. Again, after finishing my drink, I drifted back to sleep. It was quiet and peaceful and I did not have any cramps (based on what I read from the internet and I was so happy!). 3 girls were already discharged before me! In any case, hubby was not ready to pick me up, so I told the Nurse Lee and she told me to rest a little linger. There are 2 nurses running the recovery area. They were really quite good. Always checking in on everyone.

By 11.45, I felt so much better and more alert, decided to tell Nurse Lee I was ready to go home. Cos you see….I had to call hubby and my phone was in the locker. So, if I continued to stay on the bed, my hubby will never know to come pick me! I still felt good even after I changed and sat down to wait for hubby. It is a rule that someone must accompany you home and the nurse has to confirm. Nurse Lee came over to explain some stuff about the egg retrieval and the signs I will be experiencing. She told me my vaginal bleeding is slight and doctor has checked (gasp! so shy…) and I am doing fine. I had 6 follicles picked up. Then she gave me instructions for the procedure on Saturday and some documents to sign. I was already getting drowsy again. In fact, I actually felt sick.

Hubby arrived around 12.30pm! He insisted that I have something to eat and he suggested Macs which I could not resist. It was a good move. Felt so much better after having fries!!!! Tried a bit of hubby's Ebi burger and it was not bad and it came with the banana pie! I still fancy the apple pie! I still felt good when I arrived home but decided to rest. Changed into home clothes and got a hot water bottle for myself and climbed into bed. By this time, cramping had already started. Oh….I felt a little weird down under my little flower. 

Next woke up @ 3pm when hubby came home and he told me I told him to lower his voice. Oops….I have NO recollection about this!!! Slept again and woke up @ 6pm. Watched some tv and had my dinner @ 7pm. Waited till 9pm to take my antibiotics cos I had pizza for dinner (no milk contents 2 hours before/after antibiotics), played some candy crush and I was snoozing by 10.30pm! Note: Cramps at this time was kinda bad. Was contemplating Panadol but because it was bearable, I decided to sleep it off. Woke up this morning @ 8.30am and felt so much better. No more cramps!

To sum off my experience at KKIVF. It felt like I was part of a factory assemble. From the reception to the changing room, to the needle insertion to the procedure. It was patient after patient. BUT…..surprisingly, I find comfort in this. Previously, I had to wait 2 hours for the doctor to start the procedure. Waiting so long actually makes you even more scared. So…I was glad that it was like an assembly line and I did not had to wait long for my turn. Gave me less time to think about anything. 

Tomorrow…..the day of my embryo transfer. I only had 6 follicles retrieved which I think was quite low. But…with low ovarian reserve, I should be lucky for this. The consultant doctor told me that some people could only produce 1-2 follicles. I am hoping for quality….at 2.36pm on a Friday afternoon, I have not received any call from KKIVF, so I guess no news is good news? I am afraid that no eggs have been fertilised…… :(

Oh, as of day 12 of my cycle, these were my readings:
Right - 18,17.5,15,15,12,12,10.5
Left - 18,17.5,15,15,12,12,10.5
Lining - 11


Another milestone achieved

No comments:

Post a Comment